Saturday 16 March 2013

The Week So Far

Wow, I feel like I've done a lot in the last four days.  I rested on Monday and Tuesday after the half marathon.  I had planned on running on Tuesday, but my legs still felt stiff after the efforts of the half, so I made the decision to have another rest day.  I've since run 28 miles in four run.  Five of those miles were whilst coaching the Sweaty Betty running club on Wednesday.  On Thursday I did 8 hilly miles around a very muddy Magog Down.  That was a hard workout.  

Yesterday I went for a 10 mile run along the river.  On my outward run I was flying along, knowing damn well that the run felt easy because I had a strong tail wind, and trying not to overcook the first 5 miles too much because I knew the return back to Cambridge would be hard work.  And it was.  

Then this morning I went along to Cambridge Parkrun.  It was windy and the course was very slippery.  I did fine in my Inov-8 trail shoes.  Everyone running in road shoes were doing great cartoon like slides on all of the corners.  I managed to finish in second place today, partly due to a diminished field.  I suspect most people were still resting after the half-marathon last week, and perhaps were also put off by the weather.  I had a great battle with the guy who finished third.  He was ahead of me for the first 1.5k.  Then when the course got twisty I went past him because I had better shoes and he was sliding all over the place.  Then he overtook me again on a long straight.  This happened a couple more times.  Then with just over 1k to go I passed him again and then never saw him until the finish.  The runner who finished 1st was about 20 to 30 seconds ahead of me, just a little too far off to chase down.  Despite finishing in 2nd I was a little disappointed with my time, just 18 minutes and 30 seconds.  I was hoping it would be closer to 18 minutes this week.  Must try harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment