Sunday 3 March 2013

Final Prep For Marathon No.1

Today's marathon doesn't start until 12 noon, which seems very late to me.  It means it completely wipes out the day.  However, it's on my door step, so I have no travelling to do, and it gives me time to write a quick blog entry.

I've actually struggled with motivation on a couple of runs in the last week.  I think most people believe I'm a highly motivated runner who never contemplates skipping a run.  But I'm just as prone to stay on the couch as much as the next person.  I often wrestle with my conscience as the lazy Alan tries to persuade runner Alan to read a book or watch TV instead of going for a run.

I almost didn't run on Tuesday because I felt so lazy in the morning, when I'd normally run for between 8 and 10 miles.  I knew I had an earlier finish than normal on Tuesday evening, so I lay in bed and convinced myself that I'd run later instead.  However, by mid morning the idea of having a night off and staying in was highly appealing.  I told myself I didn't really need to run much in the week leading up to a marathon, even though I only view today's marathon as more of a training run than anything else.  In order to make the run more appealing I thought I'd send Jo a text to see if she was running.  She had arranged to meet up with Pia for a run in the evening, so the prospect of meeting them both made the run seem so much more appealing.  So, shortly after getting home at 6pm I was changed and lacing up my running shoes to go for a 9 mile run around Cambridge with the two marathon Sweaty Betty girls.  And it turned into a very sociable and enjoyable run, which I was really glad to have completed.

Friday was a similar story.  I'd done some work in the morning and had planned on running just before lunch, but it took an almighty effort for me to get out of the door.  The plan had been to run 8 miles with 4 miles at marathon pace.  I was aiming on running at London marathon pace and not Cambridge Boundary marathon pace, which I aim to run a little slower.  So I set off on my run feeling less than enthusiastic and not really sure if I could be bothered to attempt a paced session, but as soon as I was out of the door the joy of running wiped away my inner demons and I just got carried away with the simple pleasure of putting one foot in front of the other.  I didn't even think much about my pace, but as I hit the river tow path I found I just slipped into running at my target marathon pace without having to think too hard about it.  When I later looked back at my split times I was mightily impressed with myself.  If anything, I'd started a little too fast, went too fast on mile five and then didn't slow down enough at the end.  Here's my splits:

1 - 7' 09"
2 - 6' 42"
3 - 6' 36"
4 - 6' 38"
5 - 6' 24"
6 - 6' 35"
7 - 7' 15"  (this is my trying to make an conscious effort to slow down)
8 - 6' 45"  (and this is me believing I was running slower)

If my average marathon pace in London matches my average pace from this run I will be very happy.  I'm aiming for today's marathon to be closer to 7 minutes 30 seconds pace.  I will find out in a few hours time.

No comments:

Post a Comment