Monday 23 June 2014

Isle Of Wight Two Day Ultra

I want to do a quick update and tell you about the Isle of Wight two day ultra organised by Extreme Energy.  As I had my wonderful support crew with me, i.e. Ruth, following me around by bike, I have several photos. So the easiest way to provide a commentary is by way of a photo gallery.


Accommodation on Friday night was at the Cowes Enterprise College. We had access to several halls, so people could spread out and minimise any disruption from snorers. This is me packing up my sleeping quarters and getting ready for the run Saturday morning.
The walkers left at 8am. This is race organiser Neil Thubron giving a briefing to the main runners who started at 9am.
The 9am start contains the vast majority of competitors.
I was one of about 15 people deemed to be an 'elite' runner. We had to wait until 10am until our start. The hour wait after the main bunch has departed can really seem to drag, and it is easy for nerves to set in in this time. Best thing to do is find a friendly runner to chat to. This is me getting to know Sarah, who would finish day 1 as 1st female.
How about this for a unique start to a race. We board the chain ferry in West Cowes, as soon as it lands in East Cowes and the ramp comes down the race starts.
As it's the start of a very long day it's hardly a sprint off the boat. There I am in red near the back.
A quick selfie on Ryde water front just as I pass a row of historical military vehicles. Dodging holiday makers is also one of the challenges. This is about mile 7.5 and I'm in second place. 
Ruth then catches me at mile 13 in Bembridge. No time for seafood.
One of the toughest climbs of the day was going up to Culver Down at mile 18. This is looking back down at Whitecliff Bay. I had just passed two runners from the 9am start.
This is checkpoint 2 at 19.5 miles on the outskirts of Sandown, with several runners from the 9am start re-fueling. I grabbed a handful of food and walked away eating it.
On Sandown Promenade where we'd have to be at our most vigilante to avoid collisions with pink holiday makers. This isn't far from checkpoint 2 and I had only just finished eating and was on my way when I came across Ruth.
Going uphill from Sandown to Shanklin at about mile 21, looking back at Sandown Pier.
There other race on Saturday was the Round The Island Yacht Race. With very little wind the yachts were slowly going around in a big bunch. It made for quite an interesting view as we ran around the coastal path in the opposite direction to the boats.
View from one of the highest points of the day over St Catherine's Point, looking down at St Catherine's lighthouse and the yacht race. The boats were practically stationary at this point. This is roughly mile 31, not far before reaching the final checkpoint of the day.
And here I am at the finish of day 1 at Brightstone Holiday Camp. I covered the 39 miles in 6 hours 29 minutes and was third overall by 5 minutes.
It had been a very hot day, so the cold shower hooked up to the finish gantry was a welcome relief.
Once the run was over competitors could relax in the sun, compare notes on how the day had unfolded and wait for other runners to finish.

In the evening we had plenty of food laid on for us and there was a guest speaker. Ed Chapman was running in the event, but he also came to talk to us about his experience running in a six day race through Bhutan. It's now on the bucket list.


Day 2 to follow. I am off to Glastonbury Festival tomorrow, so will have to complete my report when I return.







No comments:

Post a Comment