Thursday 27 February 2014

Ticking Over

It's approaching the end of February and I am four long runs into my 26 marathon/ultra challenge for 2014. So far all is well. I say that, but I'm not completely immune to sports injuries and the affects of high mileage on my legs. For anyone considering doing a high number of marathons in one year then I definitely recommend investing in a good foam roller and having regular sports massage. So, in what might sound like an Oscar acceptance speech, I would like to say a few words about the person responsible for keeping me in good working order. 

I make fairly regular visits to Mike Power at Cambridge Sports Massage (www.camsportsmassage.com). Not only does he have just about the best name for someone working in the fitness injury, he quite possibly also has the best pair of hands and is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to sports injuries. If it wasn't for Mike then I'm sure plenty of my previous challenges would have ended in disappointment, and I will be relying on his knowledge and massage skills to help me through the year ahead. So no pressure, Mike!

Now that I have given Mike a plug I'll just mention what I have been up to since the Broadmeadow Valentine's Marathon. Following the marathon I did actually have a little shin pain, which is quite unusual for me. I was due to have a one week break from both work and training after the last marathon, so it was the perfect time to just put my feet up and hope the rest would be enough to resolve the issue. As it happens it seems to have worked perfectly, but I would have been along to see Mike if it hadn't. 

My week off was planned to coincide with having some builders in to rip out my old bathroom and fit a new one. As I was going to be without a shower for a week it seemed the perfect excuse to not do anything that might build up a sweat. As it happens the work has now extended into a second week and I still have no shower, so in the last week I have been visiting friends and sneaking into gyms whenever possible.

I went for my first post Broadmeadow Marathon run last Sunday with friends: Jo, Viona and Chris. Jo was planning on running 18 miles as part of her training for London Marathon. Chris and Viona were aiming on doing 13 miles for their Cambridge half marathon training, and they suggested running the route of the half marathon. So on Sunday I met Jo at her house, we both then ran 2 miles to Jesus Green to meet Chris and Vi, from there we ran the 13 mile half marathon course through Cambridge. It was quite fun to run through the busy shopping street, dodging all the Sunday shoppers. When we were on our second lap of the course I decided to run ahead to do some pace training. I managed to run a 6 minute 10 second mile right through the central shopping street with hundreds of passers by wondering all over the place. I was rather pleased with my effort, and being a Star Wars fan I felt like Han Solo dodging asteroids.

Chris had to pull out of the run at the end of the first half marathon loop with a sore knee. He should be seeing Mike today to hopefully get it fixed. When the remaining three of us got to the finish of the half marathon course, Vi continued for home, saying a very quick "good bye" to Jo and I, and we then carried on for another 3 miles to hit our 18 mile target. I finished the run pain free, and all other runs so far this week have gone by without incident.

I won't be doing any running this weekend as I'll be on a training course in London. It's part two of Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization. The following Sunday is the Cambridge half marathon, which will then be followed a week later by the Pitsford Marathon and a week after that the Sussex Coastal 34 mile ultra. So I have a few busy weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment