Monday 6 May 2013

Neolithic Marathon


The Neolithic marathon served as a great reminder of why I run.  Of course those of us who regularly exercise hard do so for many reasons, which must surely include not having to worry about what we eat, feeling good about yourself, acting as a kind of insurance against ill health in old age and wanting to look good naked!  The reason that I run is that it can be very sociable, and at the same time a deeply personal activity.  It helps me feel connected to my surroundings and to experience the changing of the seasons more closely than most people ever do.  I enjoy the physical challenge of pushing my body to the limits.  And I enjoy using running as a way to explore new locations, or familiar locations in a different way.  The Neolithic marathon ticked all those boxes.

I spent Saturday afternoon and evening with my mum and sister in Winchester.  On the Sunday morning I had a 45 minute drive to get to Stonehenge, from where I jumped on a bus to be transported to the start of the race at Avebury.  Stonehenge is, of course, a world famous Neolithic monument.  Avebury stone circle is often overlooked for it’s more famous near neighbour, but for me it is equally impressive.  It is a much bigger monument, but it lacks the regular cut stones and horizontal lintels that you get at Stonehenge

A small section of Avebury circle, which is now crossed by two roads.
In the 14th century a village grew within the confines of the circle and villagers started to remove several stones.  The site was saved from further damage when the archaeologist, John Aubrey, started to investigate the monument in the 17th century.  I’ve visited the site several times in the past, but I still enjoyed having the opportunity to wonder around the circle once more just before the start of the marathon.

Avebury village crossing part of the circle, with markers showing the location of missing stones.
Approximately 300 runners lined up in Avebury High Street at 10.30am on Sunday morning to tackle the marathon.  My intention was to take things easy, with the view that this would be a training run for the North Downs Way 50 miler in two weeks time.  My goal was to finish in a little under 4 hours.  I stood roughly in the middle of the pack at the start, hoping this would slow me down.  Once we were underway I found the first half mile to be more congested than London.  At one point I got elbowed in the ribs by a runner just ahead of me, then I was shoved in the back as I tried to slow down to avoid a second jab from the guy ahead of me.  I was feeling too hemmed in so I upped my pace just to find a less congested spot.


Getting ready at the start in Avebury
Once I had increased my pace I found it hard to settle back down into a slower run.  From that point onwards I overtook a steady stream of runners for about the next 10 miles.  The route turned out to be hillier than I had expected.  The first hill came at mile 2 and continued to climb for the next 2 miles.  This was then followed by a 2 mile stretch of down hill running.  Miles 6 to 11 were mostly flat and on road.  Every time I caught up with a runner I tried to slow down to their pace and have a conversation, but I found it impossible to keep to the slower pace, so I’d soon leave them behind.
On the first climb of the day, which went up for 2 miles.
Near the top of the first climb, with the field very spread out by now.
We reached the next major hill at mile 11.  I overtook many walkers on this hill, who had all set off from the start much earlier than the runners.  The hill proved to be quite a challenge, so I would walk a little and then run a little until reaching a very welcome water station at the top and 12 miles from the start.  We were now on the main track that crossed Salisbury Plain, a wide chalky, gravel path that continued for the next 10 miles.  We had very expansive views to either side of us that almost resembled the African Serengeti.  Just after leaving the water station I stopped to take a photo of an approaching runner.  As he passed he offered to take my photo.  With the photo taken we started running and found we ran at the same pace.  I found out that his name was Matt, he lived locally, and has run this marathon seven times before. 


The start of the Salisbury Plain section - mile 12 to 22.
Matt and I spent the next 10 miles chatting, which made the miles seem to whizz past.  The remainder of the run was reasonably undulating, with the odd short, steep climb.  I would have walked up some of the climbs if Matt hadn’t been running with me.  I think we both encouraged each other to keep running without really realising it.


Matt on one of the shorter climbs
We overtook a steady stream of walkers, some who had started in Avebury and some who had started from the halfway point.  We also overtook the occasional runner, who had clearly set off too hard.

Matt ended up running ahead of me when we reached the water station at mile 22.  I slowed to digest some Shot Bloks sports gels and to drink enough water to rinse them down.   I slowly caught up with him over the next 3 miles or so, and we then crossed the line together in joint fourth place.


Another runner reaches the finish

Tired runners rest whilst medals lie in wait for those still out running
This run had everything for me.  Testing terrain, nice scenery, the chance to strike up a brief friendship with a fellow runner, and very well organised with plenty of water stations (every 2 to 3 miles).  It had the added bonus of starting and finishing at two points of interest, and once we’d collected our medals we were entitled to free entry to visit Stonehenge.  Bonus!

Visiting The Stones after running 26.2 miles,...

...with just a few other tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment