Monday 5 May 2014

Four Marathons in Nine Days

 I'm going to update you on what I've been up to by way of a photo gallery.


On 27th April I ran in the Shakespeare Marathon which starts from Stratford-upon-Avon.
This has to be one of the most attractive race starts around and it attracts about 730 marathon runners and a few thousand half marathon runners.
Just before the start I met up with Sean, who was running his 99th marathon, and this chap, Russell, who aims to run his 100th marathon this November.
That's me at mile 12 passing one of the biggest gatherings of supporters as I ran along the Greenway, a dis-used railway line turned into a off road cycle/walking route.

Blowing a kiss to Ruth as I approach the finish line.

A rather nice medal with a picture of the three witches from Macbeth and a corrupted Shakespearean quote reading "shoes will burn & blood will bubble".  I finished in a time of 3 hours 6 minutes and 5 seconds, and in 37th place out of 732.  A lot better than I was expecting.  The previous week I had been out for a 20 mile training run which felt awful and I felt knackered for a couple of days afterwards.
Then on May 3rd it was time for Day 1 of the Pony Express, 30.5 miles of undulating and, at times, very muddy running through the New Forest.  I carried my camera all day but only took this one photo at about 5 miles from the finish when I was feeling knackered.
I was at the finish to witness Sean Birch finish his 100th marathon. This is him with Neil Thurbon the event director. This is the same Sean I met in Stratford the previous week. He has pretty much been at every event I have done so far this year.
In the evening there was a presentation ceremony for Sean just after our evening meal, where he was presented with his 100 Marathon Club medal. The lady presenting his medal has run over 250 marathons.
The medal is a bit of a beast. After the presentation a few of us joined Sean down the local pub to celebrate.
 I finished day 1 of the Pony Express in 7th place overall with a time of 4 hours 24 minutes.  I was actually 9th but two people dropped out of day 2. I was also the 4th man over 40. I didn't know this at the time. I had believed I was in 5th place and was the 2nd man over 40. The confusion was due to there being three start times.

On the Sunday morning the walkers were set off at 7am to tackle the 29.5 miles. Then the main runners departed at 8am. I was with the so called elite runners at 9am. This is us having a last minute briefing before being set off. For the life of me I can't remember what was said during this briefing. I think I just wanted to get off and run.
For most of the day I struggled to keep up with Gareth (red & yellow T-shirt) and Mo (blue T-shirt). The girl in black was a runner from the 8am group that we were overtaking. From about half-way Gareth started to struggle, I got my second wind and Mo and I then pretty much ran together to the finish, leaving Gareth to finish 20 minutes behind me.
It's called the Pony Express and here are some ponies hanging out near the final checkpoint.
I finished day 2 in 4 hours and 10 minutes, and I managed to climb up to 3rd place overall and 1st man over 40. Needless to say I was dead chuffed with the result.

Then today (5th May Bank Holiday Monday) I ran in the Milton Keynes marathon. Not the most inspiring marathon around but it attracts 1000s of runners. My only goal was to get to the finish. My legs felt fine at the start, but I started to feel the effects of the weekend by halfway. Then from 16 miles I had to dig deep and take lots of short walk breaks. I finished in a time of 3 hours 24 minutes.

All in all, it wasn't a bad weekend and here I am with my spoils. So from three marathons, I won two trophies (for the 2 day Pony Express), gained two medals, one new T-shirt and I have a pair of running shoes on their way. I also have no blisters and all ten toe nails are present and correct.

I don't think I would repeat this process again. Doing a three day event is one thing, as everyone is all in the same boat and the camaraderie is much better. Doing a two day event and immediately following it with a stand alone marathon is tough (and perhaps a touch idiotic). It's hard not to get dragged along by the mass of runners and to want to go out faster than one should. Right now my legs feel in a world of pain and I am so looking forward to a good massage on Wednesday. I also wish I wasn't working tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment