Sunday 29 September 2013

Go Figure!

How come two weeks ago I ran a marathon pain free and with relative ease, and since then I've cut back on mileage and I suddenly develop an excruciating pain to the top of my foot? Has anyone else had this?  It seems to have come from nowhere.  Wednesday night I was coaching the Sweaty Betty running club and had no issues.  But later that evening my foot started to hurt. By Thursday morning it was really painful.  I decided (perhaps stupidly) to go for a run around Coldham's Common to see if the pain would ease after a mile or so.  It didn't, so I limped home. The crazy thing is that I had also been for a massage on Tuesday.

At home I stretched the top of my foot (very painful) and did lots of foot massage for the underside of my foot with a variety of massage balls (we have a massive selection in my house).  A soft massage ball felt good.  A spiky massage ball was also good.  A very hard ball was torture.  I stuck to the spiky ball.  After a bit of ball massage and stretching things started to feel better.

On Friday I ran with a client and I seemed to get through the session ok.  I, therefore, believed the massage and stretching had worked.  I decided to rest yesterday anyway, just as an extra precaution.  I couldn't sit still all day today so I decided to go for an 8 mile run to test things out (I had originally planned to do about 18 miles today).  It was all pain free for 6 miles, then on the last 2 miles I had some twinging, but no pain.  However, I got home stretched and showered, and then stepping out of the shower it was suddenly excruciatingly painful again.  It was like someone had just turned on a switch to inject a dose of pain directly to the top of my foot.  So how does that happen?  It's beyond me.

Last weekend I had a completely run free weekend.  On Saturday I was fully engaged in accompanying a crew of female rowers on a trip to Portsmouth and watching over them whilst they rowed 26 miles in the Solent from Portsmouth to The Needles on the Isle of Wight.  I've been training the girls and getting them into shape since February.  Originally they should have rowed the Channel in May, but this was postponed due to bad weather.  Then their rescheduled event in June was indefinitely cancelled when the French decided to ban all rows across the Dover Strait.  So instead they did a longer row in the Solent.  They did a fantastic job and set a great time of 4 hours 36 minutes.  You can read more about it on their blog:

http://channelcrew2013.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment