Saturday 13 April 2013

Peaks & Troughs

I've been absent from this blog for quite some time, partly because I haven't had much to report, which was partly due to being ill for a little over a week and, therefore, I haven't been doing much running.

I started to feel really run down with a cold just after completing the final long training run for London.  I had thought I was immune to colds, as I don't remember when I last had one.  I used to scoff at people who took days off work for having a cold.  What wimps, I would think to myself.  However, I might be slightly more sympathetic in future as I felt pretty awful for a week.

My cold coincided with a week's walking holiday in the Peak District.  It didn't stop me from getting out and doing some walking, but it did mean that we had to shorten some of our plans on some days.  I had hoped I'd also be able to get out and do some hill running whilst Ruth rested in the early evening, but that didn't happen.  Still, we got out for some great walks and had some good weather, despite it being very cold still.

Monsal Dale
Back Tor, near Castleton
Shining Tor
With friends on Kinder Scout
Ruth & I near Kinder Downfall
I still haven't been feeling quite 100% in the last week and I only made it out for a couple of runs.  Still, as I keep telling myself, all the training for London is now done, and it was better to have my cold when I did rather than in the coming week.

Tomorrow I will be heading out for one final Sunday run before the big day.  I should be joined by Jo and Pia for roughly eight miles of running, and we aim to do about six miles at our target marathon pace.  London marathon is so close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment